Week ending 23rd January
- Artsaward Silver students enjoyed meeting artist and founder of Accesart Sheila Ceccarelli this week. They learnt about her art education, career path and about her work through Accesart. The students will be able to use this experience as evidence towards their Artsaward Silver, as part of the award is learning about career pathways in the arts and working alongside artists. See http://www.accessart.org.uk for more.
- Jordan Wood (Y11) and Milo Chapman (Y9) were both competing for Cambridge schools at the County Schools’ Cross Country Championship last Saturday in Ely. Milo finished the Junior Boys’ race in 18th position whilst Jordan won the Intermediate Boys’ race and will go on to represent Cambridgeshire Schools in the East Anglian Championships next month in Ipswich. Congratulations to both!
- Sabina Begum, a former Chesterton student and now working with us as an admin apprentice, has just passed her NVQ qualification. Congratulations to her on this achievement; she is a great addition to our hardworking admin team.
- Last week we welcomed engineers from CSR who ran workshops for our Y9 students focused on creating portable devices by modifying basic Raspberry Pi computers with GPS, LED and batteries. These could be individually programmed by the students to become any device that uses two or more positions on Earth such as pedometers, speedometers or a compass. Students found the sessions very inspiring.
- The students of Castellano School Dance, the majority being Chesterton students, performed at the ADC Theatre during this week and will be doing so until Saturday https://www.adctheatre.com/whats-on/dance/cuds-dance-show-2015-evolution.aspx .The link allows you to see a few minutes of the performance and there are also photos on our Facebook page courtesy of J. Hjorth.
- Photos of the inaugural Year 11 Revision Conference are online at https://www.facebook.com/ChestertonCC .Both students and staff were overwhelmingly positive about the day which focused on revision strategies. Do take a look at the photos and do please ask Year 11 about how their revision is progressing. The revision website also has extensive new material added so it is well worth a look.
- Some Y9 students participated in taster sessions this week for the GCSE options with which they may be unfamiliar, such as sociology or our BTEC offer. Students enjoyed the experience and the opportunity to reflect before making their final decisions.
- Jordan (yr11) and Milo (yr9) were both competing for Cambridge schools at the County schools cross country championship last Saturday in Ely. Milo finished the Junior boys race in 18th position whilst Jordan won the Intermediate boys race and will go on to represent Cambridgeshire schools in the East Anglian championships next month in Ipswich.
- Thank you to those parents who attended the Y7 Parents’ Evening; it was good to see lots of smiling faces, clearly hearing good reports about progress so far in school. We have our Y11 Parents’ Evening next Thursday. Attendance at these events is always important, but this one prior to final exams is especially important and we look forward to welcoming you.
- Next Wednesday and Thursday we hold our Assistant Head interviews. The successful candidate will take on the leadership of the science department and also join the senior team. We are really excited about this post and the application process has produced a very strong field of candidates. Next week we will hopefully be sharing details with you about the successful candidate!
Chesterton Community College
Mrs Lucy Scott