Week Ending 5th January
- A short blog this week, as we have only been back for a few days after the holiday.
- We start the new term with a Freshers’ Fair to advertise our extensive range of extra-curricular clubs; the exciting range of clubs will be displayed and demonstrated during this week’s break and lunchtimes. All students are invited to try a taster session of any club. Please do discuss the opportunities on offer with your child and encourage them to join in 2018.
- An exciting opportunity has arisen for girls wanting to participate in rugby. The RFU is holding a rugby warrior camp on 27th January 2018 11am at Cambridge RUFC, Grantchester Road, off Barton Road. If your daughter is interested in attending please register online and keep an eye on updates regarding timings and arrangements of the day. https://www.facebook.com/OfficialEnglandRugby/posts/10155483946529825
- All attendees and parents are offered free entry to stay after the camp and watch the CRUFC men play Darlington Morden Park in their league match in National 1. If you would like any further information please contact the organisers on the above links or email Mrs Adams on email@example.com
- Over the next six weeks Year 11 will be intensively preparing for their performance exam in GCSE Drama, which will be held over the course of two evenings in mid-February. Each student will perform in two extracts from a play written before the 21st Century, averaging a total of six minutes stage time (an increase on previous GCSE demands). In order to play to the students’ strengths as actors, and to uplift the cohort with the wonders of the Western European dramatic canon, Ms Marston has tailored each extract to suit each individual involved. The seven plays to be showcased (in chronological order): Hamlet and Othello by Shakespeare, Miss Julie by Strindberg, Blood Wedding by Lorca, Top Girls by Churchill, Arcadia by Stoppard and Crave by Kane. The drama department intends to present superlative interpretations of these challenging and awe-inspiring texts, and the work will – in part – be rehearsed as part of a residential weekend drama retreat at Burwell House in a month’s time. More information about the exact performance dates will be published once the exam board has been in touch with us. We hope you will want to put them in your diary!
- Forthcoming dates for diaries are: Year 11 Parents’ Evening on January 11th; Year 9 Pathway appointments on January 16thand Parent Forum on January 30th.
Chesterton Community College
Mrs Lucy Scott