Week Ending 8th September
- A relatively short blog this week as we start the term and reacquaint ourselves with school life.
- We were delighted this week to welcome everyone back looking bright and positive after the summer. In particular it has been a pleasure to welcome our new Year 7 students who have all made an excellent start to the new term.
- You will no doubt have read details about the GCSE results in the newspapers. Our students have been amazing again and we have had another record-breaking year, which has resulted in us having the best results in Cambridgeshire for the first time ever. Given the demands of the new exams students, staff and families have risen to the challenge and students are able to confidently move to the next stage in their careers with valuable qualifications which will open many doors.
- Highlights of our results are as follows:
Provisional progress 8: for all students was 0.8 and for pupil premium students it was 0.6; the national average is 0 and that means that all students, in all subjects, are making exceptional progress beyond national expectations.
English and Maths grade 4 or above: 89%
English and Maths grade 5 or above: 80%
% of grades at A/A* (or 7,8,9): 55%
Nine students gained 3 grade 9s, again exceeding national expectations.
20% of English and 19% of Maths grades were grade 9, again way beyond national expectations.
We are incredibly proud of our students and all their hard work and effort: congratulations!
- Nicola von Schreiber, who is our exams’ officer and leads our team of invigilators, is hoping to recruit some additional invigilators. If you are interested in the post please contact her directly: email@example.com.
- Please note some future dates for diaries:
Y7 induction evening – September 14th
How to help your child evening (Years 8-11) – September 28th
PTA Meeting – September 19th
Open Evening – October 5th.
- Also do look out for our Chesterton Recital programme: we have a superb mix of parents former staff and students who will be performing for us during the course of this term.
- Extra-curricular PE clubs are starting!
There has been a great deal of effort and enthusiasm in PE lessons this week, and we’re looking forward to starting a wide range of extra-curricular clubs on Monday.
Please check your parentmail for the full timetable of our recreational and competitive activities (distict, county and national level), which include basketball, rugby, hockey, badminton, fitness suite, table tennis and a multisport opportunity. More activities will be added throughout the year.
Chesterton Community College
Mrs Lucy Scott