Week ending December 18th
- This week saw the Music Department host the School’s annual carol service at St John’s chapel. The service was a beautiful, special and festive event. Congregational carols were interspersed with music provided by students in our three choirs and also from woodwind, string and brass groups. This year we were also very pleased to welcome Shirley and King’s Hedges primary schools to perform alongside the Year 7 choir. There were also readings from students across year groups and a lovely reading from one of our French students. Massive congratulations go to the students for their success. The Department looks forward to announcing how much the retiring collection raised for local charity, Milton Hospice.
- David Bell, was awarded the Marshall Challenge Bowl recently to recongnise him as the ‘Best Cadet’ at 104 (City of Cambridge) Squadron ATC in 2015. The Air Cadet award has been presented each year since 1939 and David will have his name added to the Honor Board that maintains this historical record of this award.
- On Friday evening, 130 students from all year groups, dressed in their onesies, pyjamas and fancy dress, congregated in the Farnsworth Hall for a magical Christmas film evening. This was our first House family event of the year, where students from all years and houses could socialise with friends and join together to watch the film ‘Elf’. Students arrived with blankets, cushions and a few even managed to bring their duvet, to find the Farnsworth Hall transformed into a Christmas wonderland of twinkling lights and paper chains, and in the foyer a photo booth where they could take a ‘Selfie Elfie’. Students enjoyed a mug of hot chocolate and a cookie during the interval, and the chance to win a wonderful Gingerbread House created by Rosie Johnson in Year 9. At the end of the evening all went home with their own ‘Goody bag’ filled with Christmas treats; a magical Christmas evening was had by all.
- On Monday four students completed a sports’ leadership course at Impington, where they met the athletics champion Lesley Owusu. The students gained knowledge, understanding and skills to lead our primary school event in March. There are photos on our Facebook page.
- Congratulations to the following students who qualified for the Cambridge District Cross Country team: Mia Mather, Priscillia Ayeni, Julia Sacha and Christian Kielinger.
- After a successful season in school and club rugby, Max Isaacson in Year 8 has just been selected for the Cambridgeshire county rugby development squad. Congratulations!
- Well done to Ryan Irving who competed in the British Indoor Rowing Championship. He gained 4th place and you can see photos of his achievement on our Facebook page.
- Congratulations to Chesterton staff Richard Kirkby and Gary Harper, who both received accreditation from the South West Grid for Learning for online safety. Both will also be receiving CEOP (a component of the National Crime Agency) accreditation in February.
- As mentioned in last week’s blog, Year 9 will begin the process of choosing their courses for Years 10 and 11 in January. As parents and students you can prepare for this by familiarising yourselves with the Options Booklet. The booklet contains information, advice and course details. It is on the college website in the Information menu. There will of course be much more help and advice to follow in the New Year.
- We were delighted this week to host a visit from four Siberian teachers who were visiting Cambridge on a cultural exchange. They were taken on a tour of the school and spoke to both staff and students. They were very impressed with the school and going forward we hope to foster links.
- A huge well done goes to Year 11 students who received their mock exam results today in our “mock-up” of the actual results’ day. Just as they will in August, students received their results and opened those forbidding brown envelopes. The students have been tremendously focused and have worked incredibly hard.
- It just remains for me to wish everyone an enjoyable holiday.
Chesterton Community College
Mrs Lucy Scott